

PENINSULA TOWNSHIP PARKS COMMITTEE

Special Meeting

Township Hall

February 27, 2019 – 9:00 a.m.

CANCELLED

Special Meeting

Township Hall

February 26, 2019 – 1:00 p.m.

MINUTES

1. **Call to Order** Skurski (Chair) called the meeting to order at 1:00 p.m.
2. **Pledge**
3. **Roll Call** Atkinson, Snow, Skurski, Cornell (excused) Manigold –Supervisor, Mielnik-Director of Planning, Jennifer Hodges-Project Manager Gourdie-Fraser
4. **Approve Agenda** Atkinson moved to accept the agenda and Snow seconds.
PASSED UNAM
5. **Brief Citizens Comments for items not on the agenda** None
6. **Conflict of Interest** None
7. **Consent Agenda**
Township Treasurer's report and minutes of 1/17/19 meeting
Snow moves that the Consent Agenda be approved with a second from Atkinson.
PASSED UNAM

8. Business

A. OMPHS – Log Cabin Day permit request – Laura Johnson
The board did not have a copy of the insurance policy rider for this event. Ellen Kerr stated that Piehl (Township Manager) has a copy of the insurance.

Action-Motion Snow makes a motion that the permit request be approved pending verification of insurance. Atkinson seconds. **PASSED UNAM**

B. Endurance Evolution, LLC – TC Triathlon permit request – Tricia Davies
The application came with an insurance policy for event. This event is for a 24 hour period.

Action-Motion Atkinson makes a motion that the permit request be approved. Snow seconds. **PASSED UNAM**

C. Long Term Lighthouse Plan, Input & Discussion – Ron Manigold
At the last meeting, the Peninsula Town Board voted to create a new Park Committee structure with 7 members. All 4 of the current members have applied. We have

applications coming in until February 28 to fill the 7 seats on this committee. We have about 9-10 applications already. By early March the selection process should be completed. The intent is to streamline the parks operation to flow better through the clerk and treasurer offices with bill paying and administration. Schultz is now a part-time employee of the township and is under my supervision. I sent emails out to members of the Township Board and the responses have been for clarification as to how the Lighthouse is to be managed. We need to generate a plan that everyone agrees on. We have a master plan for the parks. We are currently working with Mielnik to come up with a master plan for the township. It makes sense to use that same citizen group to work on the master plan for all the parks. Pelizzari is going to need attention and this group has done great work at Bowers Harbor with grants being applied for. We want a plan for the Lighthouse that works with the Park Committee, the Lighthouse Manager, and Friends of the Lighthouse. Once we have agreed on the plan, we want to work the plan. The issues at Haserot Beach are known and we will make progress with boat dock grants. At the town board meeting the mandate was to come up with a Lighthouse plan that everyone agrees on and supports. The Peninsula Town Board is tired of all this bickering; it is a waste of time and energy and we are not accomplishing what we want to do with these vital resources. The Board strongly wants this arguing to stop. Hodges is here with the latest updates on potential grants we can apply for.

Mielnik: The Township has a 5 year recreation plan that is a requirement. We can look at revisiting the current park plan and include this within the Peninsula Recreation Plan.

Hodges: The hope is to reach out to various different entities besides just the Department of Natural Resources (DNR). There are viable funds out there and I have brought a list of various grants that are currently available. There are monies available through the Coastal Zone that might be used for the Lighthouse. The Coastal Zone even has funding for the planning of the master plans. Those are due December 14 of each year.

Manigold: What we have done is for Hodges and Mielnik to go out and get as much grant exposure as we can obtain. With the 150 year anniversary of the Lighthouse coming up, we know there is a lot to do and we want to get as much done as possible. Hodge has been working with Marge and Brad in the Treasurer's office. A group of us met with Brian Lijewski of the State Historical Preservation Organization (SHPO) on Friday.

Atkinson: How will be the decision making process occur when there is an emergency repair needed at the Lighthouse as opposed to items on a wish list?

Manigold: You have a Lighthouse manager who will oversee the Lighthouse and when there is an issue, she will come to the Park Committee and then that goes to the Peninsula Township Board. When there is an emergency like a water damaged floor, we have money for that. In 2008 there was a good time table created for the Lighthouse in terms of what needed to be done. We have actual gone through that list really well. We all want to do what is right for the Lighthouse. We are looking for something of a business approach. Our board is very receptive to work that needs to be done, especially if we can tie a grant to it.

Skurski: The Friends of the Lighthouse can come to the Park Committee meetings with their list and then we would mesh that list together. If a group comes that wants to fund an item on that list perhaps that item would move up in the list of priorities.

Manigold: Once we get the members on the new committee, a structure for the flow of information will be established. Schultz, the Lighthouse Manager is now a Peninsula Township employee. We want to take a business approach without the drama. The people in the community are the stakeholders and we want them involved. We are going to have to work things out among ourselves. For example, the fire chief thinks that across from Haserot Beach is the best place to put a fire station. These are the kinds of things we have to sort through. You have Mielnik working on the master plan, Hodges doing grant writing and a town board that wants to get items accomplished. I fought to open the lighthouse and the vote was 3-2

Snow: Can you tell me the reasoning why the 2 people did not want to open the Lighthouse?

Manigold: We had a caretaker and some thought this would result in loss of employment. Now it is open and it is really a beautiful thing. When I was out there Friday, I was thinking why did we not take care of these damaged steps before?

Snow: I think we have been putting out fires like water leaking through the tower.

Manigold: I look for a lot of stuff to happen toward the 150 Year Anniversary for the Lighthouse.

Schultz: I found a map in the hotel rooms in Traverse City that has a picture of the Grand Traverse Lighthouse labeled as the Old Mission Peninsula Lighthouse at the end of the peninsula. The Traveling Lighthouse Festival has agreed to be held next year at our Lighthouse. This is a good thing for us.

Manigold: Vernors Ginger Ale is going to put a lighthouse on their can.

Hodges: If you have a specific capital improvement request that you can quantify, you are going to be more successful with your grants. If you get one and then you get another you can also get a Coastal Zone Grant added on. The DNR is getting a lot more applications. Historical, we were getting 60%-70% and now our results are at about 30%.

Mielnik: You get points from the DNR for working with adjacent cities and townships and this is a challenge as we are a peninsula. So working in conjunction with Elk Rapids for example would be difficult. The DNR water way grant of 50% for Haserot Beach Boat Ramp is a good one for us to go after. We just need to rework the numbers as this was written several years ago. This grant application is due April 1.

Hodges: As we are talking about Haserot, would the board consider the parking area as being part of the plan for Haserot?

Snow: Is this going to conflict with a potential new fire station?

Manigold: The fire station will probably be on Center Rd on a 5 acre parcel.

Mielnik: So then we will want to add parking to the Haserot grant.

Atkinson: Yes, parking is the major issue at Haserot. The angle facing the water is a problem. We need help from the DNR in helping us to create a design.

Skurski: For the launching we did not have an alternate plan; we had an improvement plan.

Atkinson: The key piece to this is keeping the beach intact.

Manigold: Why is the vegetation allowed to grow around the beach? Is it illegal to remove those trees that go toward the resort?

Wilkinson: Because of the distance to the water, this vegetation cannot be removed. There have been a few members of the community that have taken it upon themselves to help with removal.

Atkinson: Requests that Hodges includes replacement of playground equipment for Haserot.

Hodges: That is not going to be as high a priority as the boat launch and parking. If you submit multiple grants for various items, sometimes this works against you as you are competing against yourself for dollars.

Skurski: To get the Lighthouse re-sided, it appears there is potential SHPO grant, which is due on March 1. That does not give us much time

Schultz: There were things we had to take off the list such as the utility pole was supposed to be moved and that cost \$30,000. We really wanted the sidewalk as well.

Hodges: Do you have past applications submitted to SHPO?

Mielnik: I will look in my office.

Heller: You are talking a lot about grants. Who is going to manage these grants if you get them? There is no clear path about who is going to manage these funds.

Skurski: Once you get the money, the question is who has management responsibility and how do the checks get introduced.

Manigold: We are trying to get those procedures in place. I am hoping to get the new people on the board as quickly as possible. Do the best with the budget that you can and these budgets are not written in cement. Do the best you can with what you have.

Hodges: Randy and I will work right now on Haserot with the launch and parking improvements with an April 1 submission date. Also looking at siding for the Lighthouse from SHPO and see what we can find in past planning files. And then the other one is the Coastal Zone to help us with planning. That one is not due until December.

Manigold: I am pretty sure the 4 of you will be on the Park Committee and then with the 3 additional people, we will want to meet with the Town Board to make sure we are all on the same page. I can tell you we are all behind getting the parks going and even with Pelizzari I know there is a long time benefactor who wants to put money into trails. Hopefully, once we have a flow chart, the lines of communication will be clear. Lack of communication is the area that causes the problems. Once we have something adopted, then we just stick to the plan. Now all we have to do is do it.

D. Review present Budget performance 2018-2019 YTD – Mike Skurski

Skurski: This was in the Consent Agenda. If you look at the performance, there were 3 major areas. I did talk to the Township Treasurer about some of these items. Most of the issues are maintenance, the expectations around the lighthouse gift shop and how do we deal with improvements to the Keeper's quarters. Maintenance is considered a repair and if it is something new we try to put the item into the capital plan. For example, if we obtain money for the Haserot Boat Launch, then we can set up a separate account to track the flow of the money and make sure the project is being handled correctly. We might not have a quorum for the March meeting, so we should try to go over the budget for next year now.

Manigold: Everyone is going to understand there is going to be a new committee and it will take time to get up to speed.

Skurski: Yes, our aim is for the new committee members to use this budget document to have a better understanding of the process.

Manigold: Do you get all the money from the races or does that go to the general fund?

Skurski: It is up to the trustees in how they want the monies to flow. This is offset by appropriations transferred in. Since the general fund money funds us, it is a matter of managing the projects.

Action-Motion Snow moved that Item I be added to amend the agenda for a preliminary discussion of the 2019-2010 budget with a second by Atkinson.

PASSED UNAM

Manigold, Mielnik and Hodges leave the meeting.

G. Lighthouse Manager's Report – Ginger Schultz 3877 Smokey Cove Drive

The Lighthouse is closed now and we are still working for a May 1 opening date. The Lighthouse Keeper's Program is full for the upcoming season. Checks are coming in from the Keepers. Maintenance projects are continuing. Kleehammer Construction is working on the tower floor repairs and should be completed by the end of March. April is when ordered merchandise starts showing up. We are not going to have as many ordered items this year due to the bad weather in April, 2018 left us with some inventory. Next year is the 150 Year Anniversary of the Lighthouse. We will host the Michigan Lighthouse Festival in August of 2020. The Peninsula Fire Chief came out and gave us a list of the required items to complete for optimum fire protection to the structure. No extension cords of any kind are to be used at the lighthouse; this includes both inside and outside. The fire department will place a sign with our address on the road for identification. There is a group of 20 volunteers coming this Saturday and I have painting projects for them. I think that there are plenty of people in Traverse City who do not know they can come out and volunteer or sponsor a project. I will be using social media to get the word out. The Cherry Festival Parade allows nonprofits to have a float for free in the parade. This would be an excellent idea to tie in with our 150th anniversary. We received a quote from EPS security for 4 cameras around the Lighthouse. This would cost about \$2,000.

Skurski: How are you doing with ordering items for the Lighthouse?

Schultz: I am just getting started. One item often requested is a 3D model of the Lighthouse. I have had samples from various vendors and the quality is poor. I did find a company in Chicago who makes custom snow globes and we could put a 3D model of the Lighthouse inside. The globes cost \$10 each and we could sell them for \$22. The minimum order is 504. If we could put the order in now, I am confident they would sell. When I promote items on social media, there is a good response.

Atkinson: What are you buying in terms of clothes for the gift shop?

Schultz: More t-shirts and less heavy materials like sweatshirts. One design for a t-shirt has the 150 Year Anniversary on it. I did go through the budget line-by-line with Paula Kelley from the clerk's office and I am going to meet with her every month to monitor the spending levels. My monthly report contains a list of Lighthouse projects for the 2019-2020 budget.

H. Maintenance Report – Bob Wilkinson 18426 Cinder Rd. Interlochen
45 of the trees are removed and I have 15 left to cut down. Cutting has been relatively challenging due to the weather. I talked with Paula Kelley in the clerk's office regarding my contract and budgeting.

E. Preparation process for 2019-2020 budget – Maintenance & project lists,
General spending & Master Plan Projects –Mike Skurski
This would be a preliminary beginning for a budget.

F. Set Budget Planning Management Date –Mike Skurski
We are going to have to wait for the new members to come on board to create this final budget document. This will be the starting point for the new budget year 2019-2020.

9. Citizen Comments

Ellen Kerr 15458 Bluff Road

I need some clarification from this group. If the Friends of the Lighthouse have an idea for a project, what is the sequence of how to present that idea?

Skurski: That is why I asked Manigold what the process is going to be regarding decision making. The Park Committee will be the collector of the ideas. We can then make our recommendations. The Board of Trustees can choose to fund the project or not.

Kerr: Suppose the project would not require money from the township and would be funded by an organization. For example, if we could make the storage building accessible with duplicate exhibits and has virtual tours for those who could not get into the Lighthouse, would we go to the Peninsula Township Board or Ginger or to Rob? SHPO has given their approval for this project.

Atkinson: That is why I asked Manigold what the process is going to be regarding decision making. This would be for questions regarding other projects and not just about the handling of the Lighthouse.

Skurski: Manigold stated that a flow chart on the various projects will be drawn up and this should clarify how the new committee functions. This should provide the communication network.

Kerr: I was contacted by a group called Youth Works. It is similar to the AmeriCorps programs. It might be worth contacting them to see if they want to help with projects in the parks this summer. Bill Watson is the contact for Youth Works.

Anne Griffiths 15458 Bluff Road

Need to make sure there are extra toilets for 150 year celebration as there will an influx of visitors.

Item I

Atkinson, Snow, Skurski, Schultz, Wilkinson had a preliminary discussion regarding creating the 2019-2020 budget draft. The budget was reviewed in line-by-line detail.

10. Board Comments

Atkinson: Are Randy and Manigold going to be attending the Park Committee meetings?

Skurski: Given there are grants and an integration of the various departments, it was good that Manigold and Mielnik were here. Hopefully, this will continue.

Atkinson: Are we going to have a meeting in March?

Snow: I will not be here for that meeting.

Skurski: With Snow and Cornell gone, there will not be a quorum. We will just have to see what happens in March with the appointment of the new members.

11. Adjourn Atkinson moves to adjourn the meeting with a second by Skurski. Meeting adjourns at 4:35 p.m.

Lola Jackson
Recording Secretary